Cosmetic surgery involves a change in a person’s appearance. Common procedures are done on the face, but other parts of the body can also be altered to fit the patient’s tastes.
Usually, when we think about cosmetic surgery, the first thing that comes to our minds is Hollywood. However, it turns out that the field of cosmetic surgery is now also prevalent in Dubai.
Our piece today delves into how this field of medicine became quite popular within the UAE and surprisingly, the world.
Dubai, The New Beverly Hills of the East
The UAE and Dubai have become a hub for cosmetic procedures. The area now hosts about more than fifty practicing specialists and clinics.
According to a Dubai Health Authority report, this is now the highest number of surgeons per capita in the region. Aside from the rise of multiple surgeons, prices are very affordable compared to the west.
Simple procedures such as getting lip fillers only cost AED 150 – 250 ($40 – $68).
For a comparison, western surgeons charge around USD500 to USD1000 for a lip filler.
Another explanation for the rise of aesthetic clinics that provide cosmetic procedures can be explained in a study made by Amiri et.al in 2021. While this study covers only the opinion of the youth in the Middle East, we can also assume that this particular age demographic would desire to undergo these procedures.
Out of the 178 participants that these researchers interviewed, the majority have shared that they believe that getting these procedures is acceptable in society. The research also lists that skin and nasal procedures are the most popular in the region.
Overall, Dubai becoming a new-age cosmetic surgery hub of the world is due to its cost-effective services and a wide range of specialists to choose from.
The most common surgery options
For reference, here are the most requested procedures in Dubai, followed by a short explanation:
- Rhinoplasty – Also known as nasal reconstruction, this involves altering the shape and construction of the nose.
- Facelifts/Facial reconstruction – This type of surgery involves raising areas of the face to provide a more youthful appearance.
- Liposuction – is a fat removal procedure that is done to reduce the weight in the body.
- Breast Augmentation – This is done to add more shape or mass to the breasts.
- Tummy Tuck – medically referred to as abdominoplasty, which is done to alter the shape and appearance of the abdomen.